Monday, April 13, 2009

Pictorial Garden Update #2

Well, this week I got my zucchini moved into my homemade EarthTainer and they seem pretty happy. For instructions on how to make your own check out Ray Newstead's EarthTainer site. There is a 16 page PDF document and instructional videos at TomatoFest.com

Checked in on the worms and they were really going at the food I have placed in there. I added some crushed up some egg shells and tangerine peels which I cut up real small. Of course I am thinking you can toss anything in there but come to find out that citrus rinds may not the best thing for them. Something about being too acidic. From what info I found I should be alright as I didn't put too much in, perhaps 1/2 the peelings, so we shall see how it goes and hopefully no one can say I am a mean worm owner and they make it through it intact.

I am also expanding out beyond my balcony. I decided that I would try growing a few things on my front porch and so I put a tomato plant (Big Yeller-uns) out there. I a hoping for good results because it will get several hours more sunlight than my balcony. If all goes well, I might keep adding to my porch until the association complains or I run out of room. I also started some California wild flowers and some sunflowers in an old toy in on my back porch.

Sadly, some of my lettuce bit the dust. Being my first time trying to grow some leafy greens I am not all that tuned into their light and heat requirements. Undoubtedly, I probably started them a little late and with a few toasty days last week, perhaps it was more than they could bare. I moved them to a more shady spot so we will see how they fare.

Now for the pics...
Zucchini in their new EarthTainer home

Happy Spinach. These guys are really coming along.

Radishes

Bush Beans. These guys are loving it. I swear they have doubled in size since last week.

Oh yeah, we are also working on a new D.I.Y. home for the Guinea Pigs, they are a little cramped at the moment. I'll try and get some pictures up of my projects not seen here.

0 comments: